Twenty people have so far lost their lives in from the worst mass shooting in Canada’s modern history.
It was a 14-hour rampage over the weekend between 51-year-old gunman killed in a confrontation with police. The Police had earlier reported death of 19 before the new toll after it warned that the number of dead could rise as they searched the 16 separate crime scenes across north and central Nova Scotia.
Among those that lost their lives include a 17-year-old pregnant healthcare worker and a veteran Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) officer.
With the motive for the act yet to be ascertained, Police said the gunman knew some of the victims.
According to the authorities, he was wearing an authentic RCMP police uniform during the attack and drove a “look-alike” police vehicle. They also said that their work was also slowed because there were a number of fires started and they had to search through the debris of those badly burnt-out homes for remains.
The attack began took place on Saturday around 22:30 (01:30 GMT) in the rural beachside community of Portapique nd Police got multiple calls to the emergency services on reports of gunshots, and responders found “several casualties inside and outside of home” but no suspect.
They also discovered “multiple sites in the immediate area, including structures and vehicles that were on fire”.
Victims were also found in the communities of Wentworth, Debert, Shubenacadie/Milford and Enfield, where police shot the gunman dead.
A national virtual vigil will be held this week to honour the victims of the shooting, as the province is locked-down due to the virus.