Boko Haram Islamists have shot and killed over six people in a village in south Niger, close to the border with Nigeria, a local official within the premises of Nigeria said on Saturday, January 2nd.
The local official said in a statement that:
“Six people were killed Friday night by Boko Haram at Bague Djaradi,” a village in Toumour commune, stressing that the assailants were on foot”.
The attack made by the Boko Haram terrorist was the latest in a series ascribed to the jihadist group which started a bloody insurgency in the year 2009 that has gone to the neighbouring countries, which sparked up a regional military response.
Since the year 2009, over 27,000 people have been murdered and two million gone without homes, sparking a dire humanitarian crisis in the region of South Niger.
The Boko Haram terrorists have targeted soldiers and civilians of the same kind, and are blamed for abductions of children and employees of foreign organizations.
On Tuesday last week, the Boko Haram group was blamed for the death of four people in Bosso, a town which is not far from Toumour, and for destroying a lot of vehicles.
The Bosso and Toumour attack comes after a latest military offensive against the group in the area which witnessed more than 200 militia killed, according to different sources by the army.
Although Lake Chad forms a natural wall reducing the Boko Haram’s easy access through the border from Nigeria.
The presidents of Chad, Nigeria, Niger and Cameroon have appealed for international support at a November 29 meeting in Chad’s capital N’Djamena for curbing the excesses of the terrorist group in Africa.
Recall that Boko Haram has been a nuisance in Nigeria and other part of Africa and the urge to limit their impact is very much high by soldiers.