Former Aviation minister, Femi Fani-Kayode has described the latest information on the border closer as the biggest con in Nigeria in the last ten years.
The Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) has revealed that President Muhamadu Buhari has extended the closure till January 31, 2020 in a leaked memo.
The Public Relations Officer, NCS, Joseph Attah, in a telephone chat with Punch said the date is not a terminal date for the border closure.
According to Attah, January 31, 2020 was only the end of the first phase of the operation, and the borders would remain closed indefinitely until the objectives of the government for the operation had been fully achieved.
“This is not the terminal date; it’s just for this phase. You know operations of this type are in phases. January 31, 2020 is the end of this phase. The exercise will continue until the set objectives are achieved.”
The Custom spokesman also said the security officers on the field would be notified of further development about the second phase of the border closure before January 31.
It could be recalled that the Comptroller General, NCS, Hameed Ali, had declared that the borders would remain closed until Nigeria’s neighbours decided to respect ECOWAS protocol concerning trade within the subregion.
Reacting to the development, Fani-Kayode, a staunch critic of Buhari took to his Twitter page and write: “The closure of Nigeria’s southern borders until the end of January is the biggest con in the last 10 years. It presents a very real economic challenge to our neighbouring countries, it is ill-motivated, it is ill-conceived and there is far more to it than meets the eye.”
The closure of Nigeria’s southern boarders until the end of January is the biggest con in the last 10 years. It presents a very real economic challenge to our neighbouring counries, it is ill-motivated, it is ill-conceived and there is far more to it than meets the eye.
— Femi Fani-Kayode (@realFFK) November 4, 2019