According to multiple reports, Hannover defender, Timo Hibers has been tested positive for COVID-19. The 23-year-old was reported to have acted professionally when he learnt he was down with the virus.
The 2.Bundesliga outfit also confirmed the report that the defender had contracted COVID-19.
In an official statement released by the club, it was said that Hibers immediately self-isolated and took some tests with a doctor as soon as he learnt he had come in contact with someone who had the virus himself.
The club says it is unlikely that the defender had passed the virus to the rest of the squad as he had not make contact with any of them since last Saturday. However, precautionary measures will be put in place and all players and staff of Hannover will be duly tested.
The sporting director of the club, Gerhard Zuber insists that Hibers acted in exemplary fashion after discovering he had contracted the disease.
“He has himself shown no symptoms up to now,” said Zuber. “When he found out that a person who had been with him at the event had tested positive, he reported directly to the doctor and temporarily went into quarantine at home.”
HAVE YOU READ: Olympiacos Owner And Staff Not Down With COVID-19
The defender will be playing no part in Hannover’s league game with Dynamo Dresden. However, the preparation of the rest of the squad will continue as planned.
Still, the game will be played behind closed doors and all PR and media activities will be cancelled. The game is one of several others in Germany that will be played behind closed doors.
Elsewhere across Europe, the Serie A has been postponed and brings into question whether there is a possibility of the season coming to a close before the start of the European championship. The championship comes with a truck of load of troubles itself as it is scheduled to hold across 12 european countries.