Among the pool of social networking sites out there, Twitter seems to be one of the most popular and efficient platform to create influence. Tagged the SMS of the internet, the micro-blogging site isn’t just a social network but an information network.
While twitter fosters connection, it’s not privacy-friendly as your posts are literally available to all. Anyone can search and see your posts, even without logging into their accounts. Do you need a break from all the social media frenzy? Are you getting uncomfortable using Twitter? Or are you trying to stop the spread of an embarassing post you made?
The good news is you can do that by simply deleting your twitter account. We’ve got tips you can follow to delete your account.
How to delete your Twitter account?
1. Sign into your twitter account via the Twitter website. You can’t deactivate your account through the app as it doesn’t contain the activation link.
2. On the left hand side of the page, click on the profile icon then tap Settings and privacy.
3. Tap Account, scroll down and select Deactivate your account.
4. You’ll be redirected to a confirmation page to confirm your decision. After this, tap the Deactivate link at the bottom of the page.
5. To complete your deactivation request, input the password associated with your account. Then, tap Deactivate.
6. Tap Yes, Deactivate to confirm deactivation.
7. Uninstall the app
Note: You can restore your Twitter account if it was accidentally or wrongfully deactivated after 30 days of deactivation.
Once your twitter account is deactivated, your display name, username, and public profile can no longer be accessed on twitter. However, any information or content shared with other people through Direct Messaging will still exist on receiver’s end.
Guess you have some tweets, information and memories you wouldn’t want to lose? No worries!!! You can download your twitter data before proceeding with the deletion.
How to download your Twitter data
- Simply log into the website using your username and password.
- Click your profile picture and scroll down to select Settings.
- Tap “Request your archive.”
- Upon granting your request, a mail will be sent where a link is provided to retrieve your data.
- Follow the link in that email to download your Twitter data.
Twitter has no control over content indexed by third party websites like Google or Bing. This means that content from your Twitter account can be accessed elsewhere on the internet.
If within the 30-day period you log into your account, or any apps or services linked with Twitter, you will discover that your twitter account is no longer deactivated. You’ll have to restart the deactivation process. To reactivate your account, all you need to is simply log in within the 30-day grace period.
To prevent this, ensure you disconnect all your apps and services from your Twitter account. Though it’s time-consuming, it’s expedient you do this so as to safeguard your privacy.
To use your current @username or email address with a different Twitter account, change them before you deactivate this account.
You May Also Like: How To Delete Your Instagram Account