John Mikel Obi has decided to part ways with Super Lig giants, Trabzonspor over Coronavirus fears. The Nigerian decided to leave the Turkish club after the league authorities insist that the League carries on behind closed doors.
The former Chelsea midfielder who represented the West Londoners between the years 2016 and 2017 said he didn’t feel comfortable with league games still played amidst the Coronavirus pandemic.
The Turkish top-flight is one of very few leagues across the globe still ongoing and is currently being played in empty stadiums.
Confirmed in a statement, Mikel Obi has now terminated his contract with Trabszonspor after a mutual consent between both parties. Prior to that, he was contracted to remain with the Turkish giants till May 2021 after joining last year following a short stint with Championship side, Middlesbrough.
“There is more to life than football,” the Nigerian had said on Instagram on Saturday.
“I do not feel comfortable and don’t want to play football in this situation. Everyone should be home with their families and loved ones in this critical time.
“Season should be cancelled as the world is facing such turbulent times.”
In reaction to his exit, the former Nigeria International wished his side the best of luck as they aim for the Super Lig crown this term.
“I would like to thank all the fans for their support. I also want to say thanks to all my teammates, technical crew, medical team and kit men for all we’ve achieved this season so far,” Mikel wrote on Instagram. “Wish you guys best of luck in winning the league.
“It was one of the hardest decisions I’ve had to make, but in current situation we all need take care of our families, spend time with them and protect them.”
Mikel Obi has as part of the deal forfeited any further payments from the club.