The US Military has revealed that 34 service members had been diagnosed with traumatic brain injury following missile strikes by Iran on a base in Iraq earlier this month.
It could be recalled that President Donald Trump had initially denied that any injury report about the troops in the January 8 strike on the Ain al-Asad airbase in western Iraq in a retaliation attack for the killing of Iranian general Qasem Soleimani.
The Pentagon had also last week said that 11 American troops were treated for concussion symptoms after the attack, and this week said additional troops had been moved out of Iraq for potential injuries.
Trump had described the injuries as headaches, saying it was nothing serious as injuries involving the loss of limbs.
According to the military, the symptoms were not immediately reported after the strike and, in some cases, became known days later.
Speaking on the latest development, Pentagon chief spokesman Jonathan Hoffman said that 17 of the 34 U.S. troops are still under medical observation while eight service members who were initially transported to Germany had been moved to the United States. They are bid to receive treatment at either Walter Reed military hospital or their home bases.
Nine service members are still in Germany, undergoing evaluations and treatment.